Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 12 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links, removed from casings
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups frozen chopped okra
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced (optional)
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl lined with paper towels.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring to coat the vegetables, until the flour browns, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to release their juices, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Return the sausage to the pan, along with okra and rice; reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the okra is heated through and the rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with sliced scallions, if using.