We all know what it’s like to be hungry, but for close to 900,000 of our New Jersey neighbors who don’t know where their next nutritious meal is coming from, this feeling is an unfortunate day-to-day reality.
Every action counts. That’s why this Hunger Action Month, we and the Feeding America network are seeking 40,000 actions–a donation, a volunteer shift, a food drive–to help alleviate hunger for those in need. Together, we can end hunger one helping at a time.
Here are 10 ways that you can take action against hunger in New Jersey:
1. Volunteer with friends, family, coworkers, or social groups in one of our warehouses or at an off-site event. Now, you can easily register for your Hillside volunteer shift right on our website!
2. Donate to the FoodBank. Every dollar provides three nutritious meals for our hungry neighbors.
3. Host a food drive at work, at school, or in your neighborhood and encourage donations of healthy non-perishables. Canned vegetables, shelf-stable milk, peanut butter, and canned lean proteins are among our most needed food drive items.
4. Advocate for our neighbors in need by contacting your local representative.
5. Register your child’s school for Students Change Hunger, the annual statewide youth food and fund drive competition that kicks off Monday, September 16. You can also get your child involved in our other innovative youth programs.
6. Encourage your company to collaborate with us! Ask them to volunteer as a group, set up a matching gift program, or make a donation to support their community. We can’t assist our neighbors in need without our network of generous corporate partners.
7. Host an event to benefit the FoodBank. Set up a lemonade stand, organize a sporting event, or hold a dinner party to raise funds to help further our mission.
8. Get the latest FoodBank news and stay informed on critical hunger-related issues by following us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube and subscribing to our monthly eNews. Join the conversation by posting on your own social channels, and remember to use #HungerActionMonth.
9. Share your story with us! If you have personal experience with hunger or are an inspirational volunteer, telling us your story can help the FoodBank do more for our neighbors in need.
10. Spread the word and educate others on the issue of hunger in New Jersey. Share some of these ideas with them.
Volunteer. Engage. Advocate. Donate. Everyone has a role to play in ending hunger–one helping at a time. Take action today to do your part!