Enjoy our Chef Paul Kapner’s Acorn and Butternut Squash Soup, which was featured in “Dishing Up® New Jersey,” John Holl’s latest cookbook!
- 1/2 each diced acorn squash
- 1/2 each diced butternut squash
- 1 each diced fresh carrot
- 1/2 each sweet potato
- 1/2 each Spanish onions
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground allspice
- 4 oz butter
- 4 fl oz heavy cream
- 1 fl oz maple syrup
- 1 1/2 qt vegetable stock
- 1/2 tbsp granulated garlic
- Salt to taste
- Ground white pepper to taste
- Sautée all vegetables (acorn, butternut, onions, carrots) in butter until tender.
- Add 1 quart stock and simmer until vegetables are soft.
- Carefully purée vegetables in a blender or mix with a hand blender.
- Place back in pot and add last quart of stock.
- Bring to a simmer. Be careful; soup burns easily. It should have a thick consistency.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Add maple syrup.
- Mix 1 cup of water or stock with a 1/2 cup of potato flakes and mix together at a simmer.
- Slowly stir in potato mix to thicken. Stir as you pour. You might not need it all.
- Add cream just before serving.