This is one of the finalists in the CFBNJ 2015 #NationalNutritionMonth Associates’ Recipes Poll!
- 1 lb. eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 lb. zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch- slices
- 1 lb. large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1½Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 oz. French bread baguette
- 4 oz grated fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1½ tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Arrange eggplant and zucchini in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat vegetables with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Arrange half of eggplant in a single layer in an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with half of zucchini and half of tomato. Drizzle 2 1/4 teaspoons oil evenly over vegetables. Sprinkle vegetables evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Place bread in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs measure 2 cups. Add cheese and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) to processor; process until combined. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups breadcrumb mixture evenly over tomato. Repeat layers with remaining eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, oil, salt, pepper, and breadcrumb mixture. Pour broth over top. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender and topping is browned.