After raising her four children, Barbara moved to Fortescue in Cumberland County to be immersed in the beautiful landscape and connect with nature. Every morning, she looks out her window at the Delaware Bay and sometimes spots turtles laying their eggs in her yard!
Living in a secluded community can offer unique challenges, however. Barbara’s nearest grocery store is 25 minutes away, and high prices make purchasing healthy and nutritious foods difficult. To ensure she has enough food every month, Barbara visits CFBNJ’s Fortescue mobile pantry.
“I’ve been visiting the pantry since it came to Fortescue, and really appreciate the fresh fruits and vegetables they provide. I recently made plum jam and peach cobbler with fruit from the mobile pantry!” she told us, describing how her favorite cobbler recipe is made.
Fortescue is a close-knit community, and Barbara shares food with friends and neighbors when they need it.
“I just wish more people who need it would take advantage of the great food resources at the pantry. It’s not a give out. It’s a give back, and every little bit helps,” Barbara said.
Barbara’s Peach Cobbler Recipe
- 4 cups of fresh peaches
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Soak peaches in a mixing bowl for 15 minutes (Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda for every 2 cups of cold water). After 15 minutes, take the peaches out and pat them dry.
- Peel and slice the peaches.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place sliced butter in a 9×13 baking dish and place in the oven while it’s preheating. Take the pan out once the butter is melted.
- Add sliced peaches and ½ cup of sugar to a mixing bowl and toss together.
- Make the batter by whisking together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the peaches over the melted butter and evenly distribute. Do not stir.
- Pour the cobbler batter evenly over the peaches. Do not stir.
- Bake until lightly golden brown on top, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve warm.