We’re kicking off National Nutrition Month® with this tasty and healthy recipe from our Community Kitchen. Follow CFBNJ on social for more recipes and videos from our Chef Paul! Watch him cook it, too.
- 1½ cups fava beans
- 6 oz. farfalle pasta
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 strips bacon, cut into ½ in. pieces
- 1½ cups sliced red onion
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 oz. sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup shelled English peas
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ oz. shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup freshly cut basil
- Place fava beans in a large pot of boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Drain and then rinse with cold water. Remove tough outer skins from beans.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-to-high heat. Add 1 tbsp. of oil to the pan.
- Add bacon and sauté for approximately 3 minutes or until bacon begins to brown. Add onion and garlic and sauté for approximately 3 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms and sauté for approximately 3 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add fava beans and peas and sauté for approximately 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1 tbsp. of oil, pasta, lemon juice and salt. Cook for approximately 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in 3 tbsp. of cheese.
- Top evenly with remaining 3 tbsp. of cheese and basil.
- Serve immediately for a hot dish or cool to serve as a salad.