- 1 small bunch beets, or enough canned beets (no salt added) to make 3 cups
- drained 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped apple
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 cups fresh salad greens
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Steam raw beets in water in saucepan until tender.
- Slip off skins.
- Rinse to cool.
- Slice in 1/2-inch rounds.
- In a medium bowl, toss with red wine vinegar.
- Add apples and celery.
- Toss together.
- In a large bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil and water.
- Add salad greens and toss.
- Put greens onto individual salad plates.
- Top with sliced beet mixture.
- Sprinkle with pepper, walnuts and cheese.
- Serve immediately.