Cooking Time: 25 minutes
This “Kale with Raisins” recipe was created by the Jewish Family & Children’s Services. Making this recipe is a great way to get some MyPlate food groups into your meal. It provides vegetables, fruits and lean protein to a meal, all in this side salad option. By adding raisins to the kale, it makes a healthy way to add sweetness and make every bite delicious. Try this as a side dish to tonight’s dinner and everyone is sure to be asking for more!
Nutrition Analysis Per serving: 130 calories; 6g fat (0.5g saturated, 0g trans); 0mg cholesterol; 105mg sodium; 17g carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber; 0g sugar); 5g protein. Vitamin A 410%, Vitamin C 270%, Calcium 20%, Iron 15% Daily Value.
Cost Per serving: $0.99
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 2 cups
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 12 cups chopped kale (about 3 bunches)
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons raisins, chopped
- Wash kale well and trim tough stems. Pile several leaves together and slice into ribbons about 1 inch wide.
- Heat a large, dry skillet and toast chopped nuts for 3-5 minutes until fragrant, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in same skillet and sauté garlic for 1 minute until soft (do not brown). Add kale ribbons and ¼ cup water and cover. Cook over medium heat until soft, 10 to 15 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
- Add salt, pepper, nuts and raisins and stir to combine. Allow remaining liquid to evaporate. Serve.