Cooking Time: 45-60 minutes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. fresh sausage
- 12 oz. fresh or frozen pearl onions
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. fresh or dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp. fresh or dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. fresh or dried oregano
- 2 ½ lbs. butternut squash (½ in. pieces)
- 3 carrots (½ in. pieces)
- 1 fennel bulb (½ in. pieces)
- 12 brussels sprouts (½ in. pieces)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add sausage and cook, stirring until it breaks into small pieces and is no longer pink (about 10 minutes).
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour out all but 2 tbsp. of fat and discard.
- Bring heat to medium high, add onions and cook, stirring until golden (5 to 6 minutes).
- Add stock, tomatoes and herbs. Simmer over medium heat until liquid starts to thicken (20 to 25 minutes).
- Add sausage, squash, carrots and fennel. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add brussels sprouts and cook covered for about 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook, stirring occasionally until liquid thickens (10 to 15 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.